PhD after MBA: At a Glance
Here are a few important details you should take note of if you are hoping to pursue a PhD after MBA.
|Course||Doctorate in Philosophy or PhD in Management|
|Level of the Course||Doctorate|
|Types||Regular, Distance, Online, Dual Degree, Accelerated, etc.|
|Admission Procedure||Abroad: Individual University Admissions [case by case] India: Entrance Tests like UGC NET-JRF, GATE, etc.|
PhD after MBA: Course Structure & Duration
The course structure of a PhD degree program, for instance, PhD after MBA HR, focuses on the analytical development of a candidate. Undertaken under the guidance of an accomplished professor, the candidate is required to select a topic of research and conduct various analyses in terms of literature, field visits, case studies, experiments, etc., to dive deep into the heart of the topic. The emphasis is on unearthing new insights and explanations.
- Typically runs for anywhere between 3-6 years, with the first two years focused on coursework.
- After that, work is undertaken on research and preparation of thesis and dissertation.
- The PhD course curriculum is a fair mixture of classroom education and practical research.
- Candidates must first familiarise themselves with research methodologies, literature review, statistical analysis, probability, relevant software like STATA, R, Python, etc.
Benefits of PhD after MBA
There are significant benefits of PhD after MBA provides you not least a pedestal into a fruitful career in research, academics and to some extent policy-making and administration.
- Opportunity to Pursue Research: In a PhD degree program, say for example PhD after MBA Operations you will dive deep into a topic from management, finance, operations, business analytics, economics and through tools and resource and guidance from a supervisor aim to provide some new insights and explanations. You will be able to take advantage of state-of-the-art research facilities and resources. PhD scholars after completing their degrees are hired as research associates, research assistants and professors.
- Opportunity to Contribute towards Policy Making: One of the most noteworthy benefits of PhD after MBA is that policy-making bodies of the government and other think tanks invite and collaborate with PhD scholars to provide in-depth analysis and insights concerning certain policy-making issues. This can be anything from understanding the loopholes in the stock market to making the real estate industry more transparent.
- A career in Academics: As stated above, PhD scholars move onto research-oriented jobs such as research assistants, research associates, professors, post-doctorates, etc., after completing their PhD giving them a solid backing in the academic field. Many take up professorships after 5-10 years in the industry as consultants, advisors, head of various bodies. A PhD after MBA Operations, for instance, comes of great use in this respect.
- Apply Practical Experience: Pursuing a PhD after MBA gives you an additional advantage. Since MBA degrees have significant practical components like internships, case studies, placements etc., you will be better placed in analysing the subject and bringing into question new points and arguments. This is one of the most important benefits of PhD after MBA.
- Opportunity to Collaborate with International Researchers and Organisations: PhD departments at top institutions regularly collaborate with other accomplished researchers and organisations through workshops, conferences, exchange programs, research internships, assistantships, etc. This helps in building research and cultural relations as well as opportunities for better research and publication. Moreover, you will get a chance to learn from your peers and travel extensively as well.
- Significant Financial Rewards: Research programs reward research scholars handsomely through fellowships in addition to various other scholarships. In India, the JRF and Maulana Azad Fellowships are two popular ones. Moreover, project-based funding is widely available as well. Various awards also carry substantial financial awards.
- High Demand in the Corporate Sector: The level of research and academic insight that a PhD scholar brings is always desired by companies in the corporate sector to work out plans and policies. This includes scaling up, situational decision making, problem-solving, critical analysis, awareness of the newest trends, etc. Such PhD scholars are in constant touch with top-level management and have a strong hand in the realisation of the company’s goals and objectives.
PhD after MBA: Popular Options
1. PhD after MBA Finance
- A PhD after MBA Finance dives into the intricate details of the finance field concerning themes like risk management, stock market trading, regulatory practices, trends in financial markets of countries, different financial instruments, etc.
- Career options of PhD after MBA Finance include positions on Financial Advisory Boards, academia and research organisations, think tanks, consultancies, public accounting firms, amongst others.
- The curriculum involves a good blend of theoretical knowledge and practical implementation through case studies, research projects, etc.
- Course offerings:
- PhD in Finance, Stanford University, USA
- PhD in Economics, Finance & Accounting, MIT, USA
- PhD in Business Administration-Finance, University of California-Berkeley
- PhD in Business-Finance, University of Chicago
- PhD in Finance, University of Pennsylvania, USA
2. PhD after MBA Marketing
- A PhD after MBA Marketing involves research into the subject of marketing, that is, digital marketing, business analytics, feasibility and viability marketing tools and resources, advertising, unique organisation marketing campaigns, case studies, etc.
- In addition to academic and research positions like professorships and assistantships, many PhD scholars also head to organisations on executive roles to oversee marketing and advertising departments.
- The course involves great field visits to companies and organisations along with great collaboration with the supervisor.
- Course Offerings:
- PhD in Marketing, University of Iowa, USA
- PhD in Business-Marketing, University of Alberta, Canada
- PhD in Business Administration-Marketing, Simon Fraser University, Canada
- PhD in Business Administration-Marketing, University of Tennessee
- PhD in Management-Marketing, Purdue University-West Lafayette, USA
3. PhD after MBA HR
- A PhD after MBA HR includes topics like labour relations, industrial relations, employee satisfaction, training and development, leave policy, minimum wages policies, promotion and transfer, etc. In addition, you may also have organisational behaviour, decision making, etc.
- While many PhD scholars take up jobs of professors and research associates, a select few also venture into top companies and administrative to oversee HR departments and Policymaking.
- Course Offerings:
- PhD Human Resource Management, University of Lincoln, UK
- PhD Management-Organisational Behavior and Human Resource Management at University of Toronto, Canada
- PhD in Employment Research, University of Warwick, UK
- PhD Organisational Behavior and Human Resource Management at University of Pittsburgh, USA
- PhD in Human Resources & Labour Relations, Michigan State University, USA
In addition to these, you can also go for a PhD after MBA Business Analytics, PhD after MBA in International Business, PhD after MBA in Strategy, PhD after MBA Supply Chain Management etc.
Book Free 15 Min Guide from our Experts
PhD after MBA in Canada
- One of the most popular study abroad destinations in the world, PhD after MBA in Canada offers industry-leading research facilities and resources.
- Home to top institutions in the world, it provides greater opportunities for collaboration and cooperation for PhD after MBA in Canada.
- Canada’s university ecosystem is a major driver of research output in the country, second only to the private sector.
- Here are a few of the highly appreciated courses of PhD after MBA in Canada you must take a look at, including PhD after MBA Business Analytics and PhD after MBA Operations, amongst others.
|PhD in Business Administration-Management Science||University of British Columbia||Canada|
|PhD in Management Science-Information Systems PhD in Management Science-Applied Operations||University of Waterloo||Canada|
|PhD in Management-Analytics||Queen’s University||Canada|
|PhD in Management||Ryerson University||Canada|
|PhD in Management PhD in Management-Supply Chain, Operations and Technology Management||Wilfrid Laurier University||Canada|
PhD after MBA in USA
- Easily, the most attractive PhD after MBA in USA destination, universities in the USA bring top-quality researchers and scholars.
- Boasts of world-leading research facilities, some of which cannot be found elsewhere.
- Headquarters of top companies like Deloitte, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, McKinsey and other investment firms and management consultancies.
- A record 31 universities from the USA figure in the top 100 list of the QS Rankings 2018.
- Some of the course offerings of PhD after MBA in USA’s top universities you might want to refer to, including PhD after MBA Operations, amongst others, are:
|Juris Doctor/PhD in Management Science & Engineering||Stanford University||USA|
|PhD in Business-Management Science & Operations Management||University of Chicago||USA|
|PhD in Management||University of Pennsylvania||USA|
|PhD in Management||New York University||USA|
|PhD in Management||University of Texas-Austin||USA|
|PhD in Operations Management||Carnegie Mellon University||USA|
|PhD in Management||Cornell University||USA|
|PhD in Management and Organisations||Duke University||USA|
PhD after MBA in India
- Indian institutions are slowly emerging as the leading choice for PhD after MBA in Asia as well as around the world. In terms of research output, academia and collaboration, Indian universities are making their mark worldwide. Top options include PhD after MBA in Supply Chain Management, PhD after MBA Business Analytics, etc.
- In India, the admission process of PhD and MBA involves clearing the UGC NET-JRF, NMIMS, NIPE JEE, GATE etc.
- Some universities which offer PhD after MBA worth mentioning are the several Indian Institute of Management [IIMs], Indian Institute of Technology [IITs], Indian School of Business, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi, Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi, etc.
PhD after MBA Abroad: Eligibility
To apply for a PhD after MBA at foreign universities, you must follow certain fundamental guidelines, a few key ones have been enumerated in the given pointers. The below-mentioned guidelines may change as per the university, location, course structure and objectives.
- Equivalent postgraduate degree in any relevant discipline, for instance, a Master’s in Business Administration in Finance if you wish to pursue a PhD in Finance. This is highly recommended.
- Minimum scores in qualifying postgraduate degree. Typically it follows a 10 pointer scale or 4 pointer scale.
- GRE/GMAT test scores, if required. For a management-oriented course application, GMAT is highly recommended though GRE is also extensively recognized at many universities.
- Indian applicants are typically required to submit IELTS/TOEFL/PTE exam scores as confirmation of proficiency in the English Language. Obtaining an over 7+ band score is normally sufficient to be considered.
PhD after MBA Abroad: Application Process
The primary admission cycle customarily begins in September/October and ends in February/March of the subsequent year. This is carried in phases of Early, Regular and Late Admission Rounds. If you are interested in a scholarship, apply in the early phase. There are other admissions cycle as well.
- Satisfy the eligibility prerequisites as mentioned in the university guidelines [Equivalent qualifying degree, relevant industry experience, etc.]
- Research Proposal: This outlines the area and topic of research you wish to pursue along with the names of the professors you wish to work under. It is important that you select such professors after careful analysis of their work and whether they belong to your area of specialisation.
- Submit GMAT/GRE test scores alongside IELTS/TOEFL/PTE scores [as required].
- Application Set [Passport, Curriculum Vitae/Resume, Statement of Purpose/ Personal Statement/Statement of Intent, Two/Three Letters of Recommendation, College Transcripts, Experience Letter (if required), Financial Support Statement/Funding Essay (if applying for scholarships/funding), etc.].
- Letters of Recommendation must be from your current professors, supervisors, etc. who can attest to your skills and suitability towards the sought PhD program.
- Pay the required Application Fee.
- Next, you may be called for a Personal Interview/Group Discussion/Writing Task [if required]
- After review, the application will be confirmed, waitlisted or rejected usually within 2-3 months of applying.
- Pay the required Tuition Fees or Blocking Fees.
- Submit Student Visa Application.
Online PhD after MBA
- The needs of the candidates are continuously changing and to match with it, institutions are also trying to refine their course offerings. Online PhD after MBA is one such avenue that has emerged in the last few years.
- In an online PhD after MBA, classes are held completely online, research work is undertaken under guidance but not physically but through various means of communication, thesis preparation and dissertation is also done by the candidate in consultation.
- In post-pandemic education, Online PhD after MBA is witnessing great popularity amongst candidates.
- In some practical-oriented PhD courses after MBA such as PhD after MBA in Supply Chain Management, candidates are invited for some duration to the institution for coursework, exams, presentation, etc. and other work.
- The institution itself provides various other facilities such as library access, publication, peer learning, collaboration, alumni network, etc.
Ultimately, the decision lays in your hands. A PhD after MBA is a well-trodden path and if you are interested in research, then go for it.