Decided a university you want to apply at for an MBA? Can’t get your head wrapped around the process? The whole admission process in India and abroad is nothing less than North and South Poles and it needs a thorough understanding to secure a place. While in India, the top MBA colleges in Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai and so on require a CAT, MAT, XAT or even GMAT, the admission process abroad depends on your overall profile. Read on to know more.
How to Apply for an MBA in India?
In India, the top MBA colleges in Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, etc. include the IIMs, Xavier University, NMIS, Delhi University, amongst others. These operate with strict minimum eligibility restrictions, that is, minimum marks in graduation, etc. Further, this is a two-step process with a Written Test followed by a Group Discussion and/or Personal Interview. Whether you consider the top B-Schools all over the country or more specifically the top 10 MBA colleges in Kolkata through MAT or CAT or XAT, the process is the same. If you clear the cut-off, you get in.
How to Apply for an MBA Abroad?
At foreign universities, admissions are conducted in cycles. The primary cycle typically starts in September/October and ends in February/March of the next year. Scholarships applications open early. Further, an MBA admission in the USA is much different than an MBA admission in Europe. In other words, the application and admission procedure differs from country to country. Some prevalent prerequisites include GMAT/GRE, IELTS/TOEFL, industry experience, etc.
Universities: India & Abroad
To help you with your choices, here are some top B-Schools you can apply for abroad.
- Harvard Business School
- Yale School of Management
- Wharton School, Pennsylvania
- INSEAD Singapore
- London Business School
- Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
- MIT Sloan
- HEC Paris
And, here are some names from India that include the Top MBA colleges in Kolkata, Delhi Mumbai, etc. For more information on the ‘Top MBA colleges in Kolkata with course fees’, ‘Top MBA colleges in Delhi and ‘Top 10 MBA colleges in Kolkata through MAT’, refer to FAQs or online.
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IIM Indore
- Indian School of Business
- IIM Calcutta
- University of Calcutta
- Xavier University
- West Bengal University of Technology
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- Christ University
To apply for an MBA degree program abroad, there are a few minimum eligibility guidelines that candidates need to satisfy. Such conditions can vary subject to the university, location, course structure and course objectives.
- Equivalent qualifying degree in any discipline, for instance, a ‘bachelor’s in commerce’. This can be business-related or humanities-based as well.
- Minimum marks in the qualifying examination as per university specifications. The better grades you have, the better are your chances.
- A prevalent condition of eligibility for applying for an MBA program is to possess close to 1-3 years of relevant industry exposure. Refer to university guidelines.
- GRE/GMATtest scores, if required. For an MBA program, typically GMAT is strongly recommended though GRE also is widely adequate.
- Indian applicants are usually asked to submit IELTS/TOEFL/PTEexam scores as evidence of their English speaking proficiency. Obtaining over 7 band score is usually enough to be considered.
Application & Admission
Now that you have gone through the eligibility requirements, the next step is to file up your application for admission at your chosen university.
- Fulfil the minimum eligibility requirementsas mentioned in the above section.
- Submit GMAT/GRE along withIELTS/TOEFL/PTE Test Scores [as required]
- Submit the duly completedApplication Form [Passport, Statement of Purpose, Two/Three letters of Recommendation, Transcripts Experience Letter (if required), Financial Support Statement/Funding Essay (if applying for funding), etc.]
- Pay the required Application Fee.
- Personal Interview/Group Discussion/Writing Task[if required]
- Generally, your application will be confirmed, waitlisted or rejected within 2-3 months of applying.
- Deposit the required Tuition Fees within the given deadline.
- Submit the Student Visa Application.
Abroad admissions are much more applicant-centric rather than mere clearing the cut-off. Getting a high score on the GMAT or GRE is a plus but it doesn’t secure your place. Admission committees evaluate the overall suitability of the candidate concerning program requirements. They also encourage diversity which means that the more varied experience you have, the more we’ll say to try your luck. Don’t fear if you have shifted fields, have a gap or low grades on your Marksheet. If you have the necessary motivation and prove it through what you have done, you must apply.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are some prominent FAQs.
What are the management entrance exams in India and abroad?
CAT, XAT, MAT, etc. are some common B-School entrance examinations in India. Further, GMAT and GRE are examinations for admissions abroad.
Is work experience necessary?
No. Work experience requirements vary from university to university. In general, One-year MBA programs tend to ask for industry experience of 1-3 years and Two-year MBA programs admit freshers as well.
Is GMAT or GRE mandatory?
No. While submitting a good GMAT or GRE score is recommended, there are plenty of B-schools in and across Europe and other countries which admit applicants without GMAT or GRE.
Is IELTS or TOEFL a compulsion?
Mostly, yes. IELTS and TOEFL English language proficiency examinations which are widely required for Indian applicants who are applying for admission abroad. However, there a few B-Schools that may admit if you have studied at a university of English language medium of instruction.
What are the Top 10 MBA colleges in Kolkata through MAT? / What are the top MBA colleges in Kolkata with course fees?
o Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Kolkata- INR 6,00,000
o Techno India University, Kolkata
o Institute of Engineering and Management, Kolkata- INR 6,00,000
o NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata- INR 6,83,900
o Institute of Business Management, Kolkata-INR 390,025
o Xavier Business School, Kolkata-INR 10,04,000
o Adamas University, Kolkata
o Institute of International Trade, Kolkata-INR 350,000
o Calcutta Institute of Engineering and Management, Kolkata- INR 425,000
o Institute of Management Study, Kolkata-INR 375,000
The decision to pursue an MBA is entirely up to you but choosing a university based on your interests and aspirations is of utmost importance. Decide only after thorough research.