The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test is a standardized test administered by the Educational Testing Service, designed to measure the overall academic readiness of a student for graduate school. Different grad programs or PhD require applicants to take the general test as well as Subject Test that assesses technical knowledge related to a specific discipline like physics, psychology or mathematics.
A GRE scholarship is an award that a university provides to its students based on a few criteria which might include academic record, financial condition or any other achievement. The GRE is not solely an indicator of admissions to top colleges abroad.
Not all universities offer scholarships to every course but there are a few specific courses that provide grants to international students. A GRE scholarship might reduce your tuition fee and the cost of living abroad to a great extent.
Scholarship for GRE
Getting admitted to a University in the US is considered a big thing for most Indian students and parents. This is mostly because moving from a developing country to a developed country provides a lot of global opportunities.
The global exposure, world-class facilities, education imparted by experienced faculty, is what embellishes the process of choosing to study overseas. However, the cost of living in a progressive country might be high. In such a case, a reduction in the tuition fee is a great relief.
You heard it right, a high score in your GRE might help you get a full scholarship in your dream university overseas.
GRE Scholarships for Indian Students Criteria
There is no particular official GRE or TOEFL scholarship for Indian students. However, high percentiles in your GRE exam added with other criteria set by the university of your choice might help you get a scholarship to study in Universities abroad.
To check your scholarship availability, check the financial aid office of the university you want to get admission to. These GRE, GMAT, TOEFL are one aspect of your application process that increases your chances of getting an Indian Scholarship.
Types of GRE Scholarship
Here is a list of GRE scholarships that might help you with your admission process to your dream university abroad:
- Teaching Assistant: The Teaching Assistant or TA-ship asks for 20 hour of work per week. The tuition fee is completely waived and there’s scope for a stipend as well. The job role usually consists of assisting the faculty imparting the course education. A complete mastery over the course is typically expected for this role as you would be subject to students’ doubt or questions. As a Teaching Assistant, you are also expected to help the professor in any administrative help related to the course.
- Research Assistant: The Research Assistant or RA-ship is another type of scholarship that requires work based on the projects you are working in. This is similar to the Teaching Assistant in terms of waivement of tuition fee and inclusion of stipend. As a Research Assistant you are required to help the students understand the course material under the guidance of a professor. You will also be assisting in doing experiments, simulations, programming, writing research papers, etc.
These are few types of funding available for students wishing to study abroad.
Importance of GRE Score Required for Scholarship
As an Indian student, your GRE score plays a crucial role if you wish to get admitted to an M.S. or PhD course abroad. A high score increases your chances of achieving financial aid. A good GRE percentile is an indication of how better you have performed comparatively.
Make Proper Use of GRE Scores to Get Scholarship
The competition for a scholarship does not end with a GRE score. Besides a decently high GRE score, there are other requirements that are to be satisfied for assurance of your scholarship.
- You must equip yourself with a good graduate or undergraduate score. A good overall academic performance.
- Along with a decent CGPA from the previous institute you attended last, a few letters of recommendation work in your favour.
- A clear statement of purpose of why you want to avail the scholarship and how you will be a good fit for the institute.
Book Free 15 Min Guide from our Experts
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is the GRE only applicable for universities in the US?
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a standardized test that assesses a student’s readiness to grad schools. It is used to assess a few basic as well as technical skills of international students. It is not limited to the US only.
How much of a GRE score is a good score to get admission to Universities?
A good score in the GRE always keeps you on the safe side. The percentile exposes how better you have performed comparatively.
Is the GRE scholarship available for Indian students?
Indian students can avail fellowships with the help of a good GRE score. There are three types of scholarships Indian students can avail of with the help of a good GRE score:
- Teaching Assistant
- Research Assistant
GRE is for which Course | GRE Subject Test | GRE General Test